Saturday, July 10, 2010

Two of Swords


TWO OF SWORDS


"At first I was afraid,
I was petrified...

...You think I'd crumble,
You think that I'd lay down and die?
Oh no, not I,
I will survive..."*


! ! !


It is dark; it is night, and I hear calamity around me as if the ground is opening up and swallowing everything. Like I had within the dream in the Tower, I climb up and up and find myself staring out at a woman, sitting atop what looks like a stone throne, hugging her self, holding on to two swords, and on for dear life. The storm rages around us, and I notice, with a sense of puzzlement, that the moon stands out against the clouds.

I awaken on the bed of dried grass, wondering what it all means.

[image]
The difference in this card is striking. Instead of day, it is night. Instead of the sun, there is the moon. The skies are still stormy.

Two observances: the woman in the image is blind folded the way Justice is often depicted. Her appearance, with her long dark hair, is reminiscent of The High Priestess. She sits upon the stone battlement of a crumbling castle. This is poised above the water. The two-ness in the suits may be that each is 'out of its original element?

The woman holds a sword in each hand. A sense of being tested, of danger - like we seen in the Two of Pentacles - only it turns out there is assurance in holding one's balance.

[insights]
While the character of this card may not believe she can find her way out of this untenable situation, it is only her own blindness of the situation which holds her imprisoned.


*Song for Two Of Swords: I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor

No comments:

Post a Comment